Re: libpng conflict

This one time, at band camp, John Bazik said:
> Hey folks, I'm looking for some guidance.  I've read through all the
> mailing list threads I could find on this topic, as well as the BTS,
> and I'm left scratching my head.
>
> I need to have both the kde/qt and gnome/gtk development environments
> installed at the same time, and that just doesn't seem to be possible
> right now.  As I understand it, it all boils down to libpng2-dev vs
> libpng-dev.  The non-dev kde and gnome packages have been made to
> coexist, but the development packages have not.
>
> Can anyone suggest a workaround for this that I can apply right away?
For the moment, until all this gets straightened out, I guess you could
try setting up a chroot build environment, similar to the pbuilder that
the debian buildd's use.  This way you could keep your build
environments seperate, and not run into soname confusion.  A google
search for chroot howto ought to give you a fair amount of help with
that.

HTH,
Steve
--