Re: Idea for a transition to Gnome 2

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 13:24, Stephen Depooter wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 11:38, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> >
> > Stop bloating the archive ... use "stable" if you want Gnome 1.4.
> > Unstable will have Gnome2 and won't have 1.4.
> >
> Since Woody has been released now and we have Sarge as a testing
> distribution, I propose that Gnome 2 packages be put into unstable when
> they are ready.  At the same time, I would suggest that Gnome 2 packages
> do not propogate to Sarge, but instead we should hold them in unstable.
> This way people who insist on a clean Gnome 1.4 can use testing or
> stable while Gnome 2 packages are finalized.  Then when the entire Gnome
> 2 set of packages is ready and in unstable, we can allow them to
> transition to testing.
>
> This would only work if there is an easy way to hold the Gnome 2
> packages in unstable, which I understand can be done by filing RC bugs
> against the packages, although that is an ugly solution.

The problem is that then if there is a bug in a gnome1 package, and we
are using the same package names for gnome1/gnome2, then a bugfix for
gnome1 cannot be made.  Instead of possibly leaving buggy packages in
sarge for months, it would be better to just make the transition.

Then the old argument comes up over why gnome2 should replace gnome1
packages, etc.  Personally (the only kind of opinion that exists, of
course, are personal ones ~,^) the way I look at it is, we don't have 3
versions of KDE in Debian, why should we have a version of each GNOME?
Woody is for people who want stable/older software, unstable is for
people who want unstable/bleeding-edge software, and testing is for
people who want stable/bleeding-edge software.  (Thank the gods noone
wastes time on an unstable/older Debian distribution. ~,^)

The use you proposed of unstable is the point of experimental.
Experimental is where packages that do not belong in Debian itself,
either because of breakage, incompatibilities, or severe instability,
belongs.  Unstable/testing aren't meant to be separate sets of software
- testing is just meant to be a stabler/less-buggy version of the
software in unstable.