Idea for a transition to Gnome 2

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 11:38, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Stop bloating the archive ... use "stable" if you want Gnome 1.4.
> Unstable will have Gnome2 and won't have 1.4.

Since Woody has been released now and we have Sarge as a testing
distribution, I propose that Gnome 2 packages be put into unstable when
they are ready.  At the same time, I would suggest that Gnome 2 packages
do not propogate to Sarge, but instead we should hold them in unstable.
This way people who insist on a clean Gnome 1.4 can use testing or
stable while Gnome 2 packages are finalized.  Then when the entire Gnome
2 set of packages is ready and in unstable, we can allow them to
transition to testing.

This would only work if there is an easy way to hold the Gnome 2
packages in unstable, which I understand can be done by filing RC bugs
against the packages, although that is an ugly solution.

Is this a reasonable solution to the questions of managing a transition?

Another question is, is it too late for this, has Sarge already pulled
Gnome 2 packages from unstable?

--
Stephen Depooter
<sbdep@myrealbox.com>