Re: Gnome2 for woody

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:37:23 -0300
Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org> wrote:

> Em Fri, 19 Jul 2002 00:09:11 +0200, Julien Portalier
> <julien@portalier.com> escreveu:
>
> > Well, i just tried to install gnome2/woody on a friends computer,
> > the main problem is that you compiled it with libgcc >= 1:3.1 alors
> > que testing contient : libgcc == 1:3.0.4-7 ... So, you're
> > backporting to woody is quite not good, libgcc1 >=1:3.1 is from
> > unstable, and not in woody.
>
> Sure, someone spot the same error on debian-user-portuguese. The
> problem here is that I have openoffice.org installed and thus libgcc >
> 1:3.1. The solution to the problem will be to backport that lib,
> also... do you think that'll cause any problem?

In the facts: no ! Because libgcc1 1:3.1 only depends on libc6 >= 2.2.4,
and woody is using 2.2.5, so may be you should just "copy" the deb
package from unstable to your repository, it would be easier (and better
understanding) for people to get gnome2 for woody. Instead than having
people to get libgcc1 from unstable (they might be afraid of doing
that), and so on.

Hum, and another problem (u might already have been asked of it), a
friend reported me that your gnome-panel2 was unable to launch
(continuously crashing), that's a known bug, so u might recompile the
one from experimental, which is quite better ;)

Julien