Re: gnome2 and window managers

Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> > My conclusion is that the gnome-session program should disregard
> > Debian's x-window-manager and instead launch a gnome2-compatible WM
> > (sawfish or metacity), if available and no user configuration is
>
> gnome-session is already build with --with-window-manager=sawfish

Does this mean, that it starts sawfish by default as long as no user
configuration is present? If yes, this must be new. I tried out Gnome
2 some 3 weeks ago and it always started up with x-window-manager
(which is WindowMaker on my box).

> > present yet. To make this possible, gnome-session2 should depend on
> > sawfish2 or metacity.
>
> No, I disagree, we don't force anybody to use a special window manager.

... even though the others don't _work_ with Gnome 2?

WindowMaker for instance displayed the Nautilus desktop as a window
with a "close" button and the panel didn't show up at all, presumably
because it was hidden by the desktop window. (can't verify it now,
since I've reverted to Gnome 1.4). Only with sawfish or metacity I was
able to have a usable G2 desktop.

With Gnome 1.4 this is, of course, different, since E, WindowMaker and
others _do work_ well with it.

But as far as I understand, the overall tendency for Gnome 2 is to
bind the desktop as tight to a specific WM as KDE is bound to
Kwin. (And I never heard any KDE user complain about being "forced" to
use kwin).

An alternative would, of course, to add proper Gnome 2 support to
WindowMaker, E and friends. But even then I would plead for
gnome-session to launch sawfish|metacity unless the user has
explicitly requested something else - simply because many users will
never change the presets - either because they don't know how or
because they are not even aware of the fact that it can be changed at
all (especially since the respective control-center capplet has
disappeared in Gnome 2).

Thanks,

Johannes
--