Re: gnome2 and window managers

"Matthew McGuire" <magus@shadowglade.net> writes:

> > No, I disagree, we don't force anybody to use a special window manager.
> >
> > christian
>
> Spot on. Debian has never required the use of a specific WM for gnome and
> should avoid it. Sawfish and Metacity should go no further than the
> "Recommends" line.

Yeah, but what about the simple and quite obvious fact that currently
WMs other than sawfish|metacity don't support Gnome 2 properly?

Speaking from my limited experience, I did not manage to configure a
usable Gnome 2 desktop unless I used one of the aforementioned two as
Gnome's wm. Aren't dependencies meant to safeguard the overall
usability of the system?

Thanks,

Johannes