gdm2 and fonts

I'm using Hadess's PPC package of GDM2, so I apologize in advance if I
shouldn't be bothering the list...

But GDM2 is starting without GDK_USE_XFT=1, which means that the font it
chooses is not only ugly but oddly very slow to display (after I press a
key, it takes a second to display the first letter).  It also looks
awful, which makes me think it's loading some wacky font.

Where is this sort of thing configured?  GDM runs outside of my login
process, so it's not like I can modify a .bashrc somewhere...

--
      Evan Martin
martine@cs.washington.edu