GNOME2 AA TrueType fonts

Hi,
	after upgrading my system the other day, I found that libgdkxft support
broke under the latest version of gtk in debian-unstable. I decided to
upgrade to
gnome2 as this seemed the best way to get anti-aliased fonts working again.

It all seems to have gone quite smoothly, however when I setenv GDK_USE_XFT
1 (tcsh)
and run an application (like gnome-calculator) the fonts, although nicely
anti-aliased,
are completely garbled... for example, what I presume is the file menu is
rendered as:

&DOFXODWRU

[I searched for this sequence in google, and it turned up in a lot of PDF
documents, so
I am assuming it is some form of unicode (UTF-8? UTF-16?)]

does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

	Regards,
	Keean Schupke.