Re: GNOME-2 transition: a first complaint

<quote who="Marek Habersack">

> It's on _choice_. The beauty of GNOME has always been in the possibility
> to make choices - unlike with KDE or Windows where you have virtually no
> choice.

That's not true. See the abundance of "choice" in KDE 3.0.1 - there are far
more options, tweaks, settings and preferences than any administrator or
user would want to become familar with. If you want a hideous amount of
unnecessary choice, you might want to look at KDE again.

(This particular issue - opaque move/resize - is a tough one. It would be
inane to suggest that GNOME could/should target users of 486/P1 class
machines, but we're not always given the luxury of good video cards and X
drivers. My personal take on this is that less demanding methods will make
their way back into Metacity. But only due to a very serious need, not just
because random technologists like a lot of esoteric options.)

- Jeff

--
  "If you want to start a debate on a subject, however, all that seems to
     be necessary is to involve perennial target Richard Gooch." - LWN