Re: Gnome 2 summary 27/06/2002

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 23:57, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> I thought that a new GNOME 1.4.x just came out and is still supported
> upstream, no?  Am I misinterpreting this quote from Jeff Waugh?
>
>     Well, we are just about to release GNOME 1.4.1, developer platform
>     up to fifth toe, so we're kinda still supporting it. :-)
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2002/debian-gtk-gnome-200206/msg00105.html
>
> And
>
>     Coming from upstream...
>
>     You're probably best off maintaining both, at least until a)
>     2.0.2ish and/or b) Ximian / Red Hat release their 2.0-based
>     desktops.
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2002/debian-gtk-gnome-200206/msg00153.html
>

> If this is at all accurate, I'd personally hate to see Gnome 1.4 get
> clobbered, even from unstable.

As one of the upstream, I'll tell you that nobody really works on Gnome
1.4.x (the last person to do so was Kjartaan, and he switched to 2.0
devel recently. Everything that should have been in 1.4.1 is already
released (or just about to, and there's not much left).

Switching to Gnome2 for the basic desktop and, if the package is not in
the basic desktop, if the Gnome2 version is significantly better than
the Gnome1 version (cf. gthumb and file-roller), it makes sense to
replace the Gnome1 version in unstable.

This is unstable after all. And users of unstable should have enough
skills to reconfigure their desktop properly. It's just the desktop
we're replacing, we're not making their machines unbootable.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net