Re: Meta package for a useful GNOME desktop

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 20:26:37 +0200
Morten Brix Pedersen <morten@wtf.dk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to find a meta package for GNOME, is there any good
> reasons why one doesn't exists?
>
> KDE has a meta package called 'kde' which depends on most of the core
> tools getting a useful KDE desktop running.
>
> I would like to suggest that one is added for GNOME as well. My main
> motivation for this is that newcomers to Debian will wonder "how do I
> install GNOME?" and they will be totally lost when they are told that
> they just should pick the packages which they want. And since one
> exists for KDE, the user would be confused on why GNOME can't be
> installed the same way.
>
>   - Morten.

I agree with that, i think it would be a good idea to have few meta
packages for gnome like:

gnome(2)-libs
gnome(2)-desktop
gnome(2)-dev

Which will install the necessary packages like those on the summary
list. I was pretty confused myself when i had to install gnome2
recently, i didn't know which package to install or not, i just tried to
install all of them to get something working.

Julien