Re: graphical apt, trials and tribulations

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 04:07, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Seth Nickell">
>
> > Depends on what you mean by "fair," *wink*. RPM doesn't ask questions,
> > which is perhaps a missing feature because you just get this glob on
> > your disk with no idea what to do next, but it also makes it feasible
> > for good graphical package managers to exist. It may have been accident
> > on their part, it may have been design decision, I don't know.
>
> Although various parts of Debian are not ready for this (pointed out
> earlier), I strongly believe that non-interactive package installations as
> *policy* (rather than as a system setting, ala Debconf notifications) are a
> bad idea.
>
> This is an infrastructural issue; the software needs to be fixed, not the
> policy.

I didn't say it should be policy that packages shouldn't have a
"setup/questioning" phase. From my perspective what would be a nice
policy (it would be a policy that enforces the theoretical idea that
graphical package managers should be possible, because they are serious
secound class citizens right now) is that if configuration gets used (I
think a good design choice) it works through a standardized system like
debconf that can be wrappered in a graphical interface.

-Seth