Re: Nautilus item count

On Feb 23 23:22, Paulo Jose da Silva e Silva wrote:
> I have moved to gnome this last weekend. The hello desktop feels very
> good but one small point. Nautilus feel a little slow for me. (I have an
> older machine, k6-2 300 MHz and 128 Mb) I tried to disable most of the
> features that can make it slower but it wasn't enough.
>
> One thing that called my attention is that it usually takes longer to
> show the directories than the regular files even though I have the
> "count items" option disabled. I am really with the impression that
> nautilus is still loosing time counting the items in sub-directory. Does
> any one know if this is really nautilus' behavior and how to turn it
> off?

This question is probably better sent to debian-user or gnome-list.

I dont know how to help you but you could try to start nautilus in a
terminal and try reading a directory and see if you get any different
output on the terminal with that option on or off.

An other thing if you really wants to see what happens is to start it with
strace. Try 'strace nautilus' and youll see everything nautilus does.

--
* John Ericson john@john.pp.se
* ICQ: 7325429 JID: high@jabber.org