Re: GNOME 2.0 Alpha released

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 12:33:55PM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:37:04PM -0800, Ryan Murray wrote:
>
> > Filing a release critical bug against glib1.3, then a bug on ftp.d.o with
>
> ORBit2, which *is* useful on its own, without GNOME.  Upstream
> recommends that people use ORBit2 for non-gnome-related development,

Great, but do they recommend it for stable use?  Developers often need things
that would be considered _unstable_, but until they've stabalized, should
they really be in a stable distribution?  glib certainly has warnings that
hint it shouldn't be used for anything stable yet, and they could decide
to make the final version entirely incompatible api and abi wise with the
current snapshots, and they don't want any stable distribution (which will
be out there for some time) to have the "snapshot" api/abi and create problems
for them to solve.

Remember that woody is basically a stable release candidate.  If you wouldn't
want the package to be in stable if we released tomorrow (or upstream doesn't
want it there), it really shouldn't be there...

--
Ryan Murray, Debian Developer (rmurray@cyberhqz.com, rmurray@debian.org)
The opinions expressed here are my own.