A few questions about GMC ...

Apologies if this is the wrong list for this sort of question, but I'm
subscribed to it and my questions seem pretty relevant to me :-)

My 75 year old father recently asked me to buy him a new laptop and when
I bought it I thought I would install Debian + Gnome + Star Office as a
kind of experiment.

I use Gnome myself, and I installed Gnome on his system too.  Everything
looks pretty good, and I have set things up pretty carefully in the hope
he can muddle his way through for six months or so until he is used to
the changes...

There are only really two hassles that I can see at the moment.

1) Whenever he clicks on a desktop icon and GMC opens a folder, it
always coes up in the same piddly window, frustratingly sized to exactly
the _wrong_ dimensions.
 - Does anyone know if there any way to get the folder dimensions
remembered, or even to have the window open maximised, or some fixed
(_larger_) size?

I've looked at Nautilus, but it seems to have the same problem.  I have
tried to save the window dimensions using Sawfish's 'Remember
Dimensions' option, but it seems that GMC has decided that this doesn't
apply to it...

2) When he clicks on a document in GMC it prompts for the application to
be used to open the document.  Even though I select the application and
tell GMC to remember that in future, it seems to not have permissions to
do so, or it can't hold a local user preference (or something)...

Not being a fan of these sorts of interfaces myself (I tend to have a
workspace full of xterms :-), even though I do use Gnome I'm not sure
where to go to configure the appropriate behaviour.

Naturally, as a Debian developer myself, I want to see my parents
persevere with this.  They sort of vaguely understand that it is
important to me too, but equally obviously it can't be something that is
as large a part of their life as it is of mine!

Any and all helpful suggestions welcomed,
						Andrew.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267