Re: task package ?

Colin Walters wrote:

> Bo Lorentsen <bl@netgroup.dk> writes:
>
> > Hmm, I thought that this tasksel just scanned the apt cache for task
> > packages, and listet these. (I'm quite new to this Debian thing)
>
> Well, it also installs them.

Ohh, sorry ofcause, as does "apt-get install xyz-task" :-)

> > When did the gnome part of tasksel enter the Woody dist. ?
>
> I'm using sid, but it looks like the same version of GNOME is in
> woody, so "desktop environment" in tasksel should give you the GNOME
> stuff.

And KDE, or just Gnome ?

> The problem is that the Ximian packages probably have a higher version
> number than the Debian GNOME packages, and tasksel (really apt) won't
> "downgrade" to the Debian packages.  So you have to remove the all
> Ximian packages, then install the Debian packages.

The most packages har exactly the same, but they don't depend on the same
things.

> Don't --force-depends; you'll have a hard time getting dpkg back on
> nice speaking terms with you.  I'd try finding the crucial libraries
> that the Ximian packages Depend on (say libgnome32), and "apt-get
> remove" those.  Then you should only have a few remaining packages to
> clean up that didn't Depend on libgnome32.  Of course, you will be
> without GNOME during the removal and upgrade..

Well, what I did was to remove the conflicting package one by one, and the
replace it at ones with the woody equivalent, that got the same version number.
But I know this is a dangerous way of acting :-)

But your proposal seem more sane, but done is done :-)

/BL