Re: gdk-imlib1: possible move of image-loader plugins

 Steve> Hi, I'm the debian maintainer for imlib1/gdk-imlib1.

 Steve> The latter package currently installs
 Steve> "/usr/lib/libgdk_imlib1", along with a slew of helper plug-ins
 Steve> for loading various image file formats.  The plugins are
 Steve> currently installed as "/usr/lib/libimlib-xpm.so", etc.

 Steve> I am considering a change that would install them into
 Steve> /usr/lib/gdk-imlib1.  (Imlib2 has done a similar thing, it
 Steve> appears) I am writing here to ask whether this would break any
 Steve> software.

 Steve> The change should not affect any app properly built against
 Steve> gdk-imlib: libgdk_imlib.so remains in /usr/lib and it knows
 Steve> where to look for the plugins.  The only possible breakage
 Steve> that comes to mind is if someone mistakenly linked against one
 Steve> of the plugin shared objects.  If that has happened, I'd like
 Steve> to know and correct it before making this change.  I'd also
 Steve> like to hear if I have overlooked something fundamental.

 Steve> I am running the modified debs on my system now, with no
 Steve> apparent breakage yet.  However, there are a large number of
 Steve> packages that depend on gdk-imlib1, so I don't want to make
 Steve> this change lightly.

I have a lot of stuff installed.  After running
for i in /usr/bin/* /usr/X11R6/bin/* ;
do
  FOO=`ldd $i | grep libimlib-` ;
  if [ ! -z "$FOO" ] ;
  then
    echo $i ;
    echo $FOO ;
  fi ;
done

I don't get anything linked to it.  Seems safe to me.
Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!
@    http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com |  Linux is kewl!