Re: task package ?

Bo Lorentsen <bl@netgroup.dk> writes:

> Hmm, I thought that this tasksel just scanned the apt cache for task
> packages, and listet these. (I'm quite new to this Debian thing)

Well, it also installs them.

> When did the gnome part of tasksel enter the Woody dist. ?

I'm using sid, but it looks like the same version of GNOME is in
woody, so "desktop environment" in tasksel should give you the GNOME
stuff.

The problem is that the Ximian packages probably have a higher version
number than the Debian GNOME packages, and tasksel (really apt) won't
"downgrade" to the Debian packages.  So you have to remove the all
Ximian packages, then install the Debian packages.

> I run half/haft rigth now, and it works out quit nicely, but I
> sometime have some upgrade problems that need me to do at "dpkg
> --force-depend --remove xxx".

Don't --force-depends; you'll have a hard time getting dpkg back on
nice speaking terms with you.  I'd try finding the crucial libraries
that the Ximian packages Depend on (say libgnome32), and "apt-get
remove" those.  Then you should only have a few remaining packages to
clean up that didn't Depend on libgnome32.  Of course, you will be
without GNOME during the removal and upgrade...