Re: Switching back to Debian Gnome.

>>>>> On 22 Jan 2001 20:01:15 -0800, adrian_j@canada.com said:

 adrian> Ok, mixing Helix Code/Ximian with "testing" has been broken
 adrian> for me for too long now.  Apparently removing
 adrian> spidermonkey.helixcode.com from apt.sources isn't
 adrian> enough... (And I'm not sure how update-alternatives comes
 adrian> into play?) What can I do to force the package system to
 adrian> install curent versions of packages when alternate vendors
 adrian> versions are already installed, but not available?  Even if I
 adrian> go back to Ximian later, this would be nice to know.

 adrian> Please CC me, as I am not subscribed.

 adrian> ps. I looked over the archives, and while this isn't new, I
 adrian> havn't seen any verified solutions.  Has this changed or have
 adrian> I missed something?  BTW, don't get me wrong, Helix Code has
 adrian> rocked in the past.

Mostly Rob Brownings directions:

Get a list of helix packages:
grep-status -F Version -s Package helix | perl -pe 's/^Package: //' > helix.packages

edit to taste (I removed sawfish-themes, gtk-themes, and
helix-sweetpill from the list because there were no equivalent debian
packages (someone correct me if I'm wrong)).

dpkg -r --force-depends `cat helix.packages`
apt-get install `cat helix.packages`

cleanup a bit.  Probably some packages don't have the same name from
helix to debian.

Do all this carefully.  This is near what I did, but not exactly.

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!
@    http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com |  Linux is kewl!