Re: I have no time

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 04:55:43PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 11:32:31PM +0200, Christian Marillat écrivait:
> > Peter can you tell us what you are doing ?
>
> I'm also disappointed. I've contacted Peter many times, each time he said
> too me "i'm working on it". But i've never seen anything else than new helix
> package on the helix server ...

I am also disappointed, and I apologize for saying so early on that I
would be glad to take up the packages. Unfortunately, I have not had
time to do the work needed to get the packages ready for uploading to
Debian.

> And the last time he responded to me, he told me that there was some
> "pressure" on the helixcode side for not doing it... I probably shouldn't
> tell that in public but I guess that's the best way to boost things and to
> clear the mess (he never answered me who does the pressure and why there
> was a pressure) ...

I can't really answer this question.

At this point, I think the safe thing to do is to say that I won't be
packaging these things for Debian. I'm very sorry that this is the
case, but right now I don't have the time or the ability.

> If Peter doesn't come up rapidly with a clear solution & explanation, I
> think that we should force things a bit. Helix has done a great job and I
> think that we simply should take the helix source packages on their site,
> change the control file, the changelog, the version and upload their
> packages in our archive. Peter will gladly accept any patches you do to
> the files in the debian directory... he's still very cooperative with us.
>
> After all, their work is GPL and they can't force us to not include their
> good work. What do other people think ?

The code is GPL. I'm not sure what the redistribution rights are on
our artwork, though. Some things, like the yellow monkey button, have
a Helix Code copyright and probably cannot be redistributed. I believe
that the only source package with art like that is gnome-core, which
has both the monkey button and our improved startup splash screen.

I forgot - GDM also has some of our art.

The packages are certainly redistributable with the art removed.

Again, I'm very sorry that I can't maintain the packages that people
have offered to me in an official capacity. I'm still the maintainer
of the Helix debs, and things will not change on that end.

Peter