Re: Debian and GNOME, partnership with Helixcode?

> 	  Hello Miguel, I would have prefered to know you taking some "tapas"
> in Madrid, oh welll..

A large group went on my last day in Madrid for tapas ;-)

> I disagree. The fragment is not "completely wrong",
> however, I read it now and find a *big* mistake.
> Where I said GNOME developers
> I should have said "HELIX developers"

Exactly, hence the paragraph is wrong it in entirety :-)

Now, even then, it was our plan all along (and I believe the FAQ on
our web site mentions it), that we wanted to provide Debian packages.

> I'm sorry to disagree with you, the GNOME project *does*
> distribute binaries (and packages too), looking
> in http://www.gnome.org/start/ will give you pointers
> to packages for Caldera, RedHat and SuSE distributed
> from the GNOME site (ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/stable/latest).

Sadly, those packages are seldome updated, and there is not an ongoing
effort to keep them up to date.  I tried to assemble such a team, in
the gnome-packaging-list, but that group never produced binaries.

>From time to time we do get contributed packages, but it is not
something users can really rely on having.

> The Debian packages, however, are *not* found in the GNOME ftp
> site. Why aren't they included and mirrored?

Because nobody did contribute them.  Every binary on the site was
contributed by someone.  For example, recently we got mail from a
TurboLinux user, and he provided us with the packages for TurboLinux.

> I brought this thing first in Debian lists since I thought some
> discussion should be needed first, not just by discussing the
> issue of GNOME/HELIX but also whether if our package system
> was not docummented enough for others to make packages for Debian.

I am sorry, because many people got the wrong impression about GNOME
and Helix due to the non-factual post.

> My point was that maybe Debian is not getting enough attention
> from GNOME and other related projects (like HELIX) and that maybe
> we had a public-relations problem. This thread might not have helped too
> much :)

It did not hurt, as I know this is not how the Debian developer feel.
I regret that you posted inacurrate information, when you had a chance
to talk to me directly instead of coming up with some conspiracy
theories.

> you are quite popular .. I only attended the exposition to hear you speak :)

I had a lot of free time :-)