Re: Debian and GNOME, partnership with Helixcode?

Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a <jfs@ieeesb.etsit.upm.es> writes:

> In the conference he said that the GNOME developers do not want to
> make debian packages because "they are too difficult".

He's clearly crazy.  Making a debian package is, in my experience,
*far* easier than making an RPM.  (The end result is generally much
better too, but perhaps of limited use on some popular-but-inferior
distributions.)

> 	debian-frozen		helix
> gnumeric	0.47		0.48
> dia	0.83		0.84

For these two, at least, the newer version is in unstable.

Some of the others are probably a version or two behind because we're
in the middle of a freeze.

> 	However it seems Debian 2.2 will be more GNOME ready than any other
> distributions. There seem to be however the idea in GNOME (at least Miguel
> has it) that Debian packages for GNOME are not uptodate/available.

After all we've done for the Gnome project, this is really annoying
and saddening to hear.  Someone needs to wield a large cluebat! :)

> 	How about talking with Helix to become a Helix Desktop Partner? (see
> http://www.helixcode.com/desktop/partners.php3)

Debian has already donated time *and* *money* to the Gnome project.
(And, as a non-profit org, it's not like money is something we have to
throw around.)  Personally, I think they should partner with us, not
the other way around.  I'm sure that if they came and asked for help,
we'd be more than happy to give it.