Re: I have no time

%% James LewisMoss <jimdres@mindspring.com> writes:

  Raphael> If Peter doesn't come up rapidly with a clear solution &
  Raphael> explanation, I think that we should force things a
  Raphael> bit. Helix has done a great job and I think that we simply

  jl> The rush is that without the helix (or helix equivalent (meaning
  jl> the same versions)) packages in woody people with gnome dependent
  jl> packages (I have gnotepad with this problem) can't use the helix
  jl> packages because then they couldn't compile their gnome dependent
  jl> packages for upload to woody.

OK, that's a good reason.  Nevertheless...

  Paul> Let's give Peter some time to try to work out whatever issues,
  Paul> and not jump in swinging.

  jl> We aren't jumping in swinging.  We just shouldn't have to wait any
  jl> longer for the packages.  If Peter has not the time now and
  jl> someone does have the time to do a recompile for debian what's the
  jl> harm?

Technically, none, but I don't want to see any damaged relationships or
hurt feeling between two important free software organizations just
because of a week or two delay.  There's already far too much of that
sort of thing.  I'm not saying it would definitely happen but the tone
of the messages was, to me, a little off-putting: forcing things, saying
they can't stop you since it's all GPL'd anyway, etc. etc.  I've not
seen any real discussion of this on this list until a day or two ago;
all I'm saying is let's start more slowly with a dialogue before we jump
right to the end.

However, this entire thread is moot since Peter has already said he
doesn't have time to do "real" Debian packaging.

So... everyone reach in now and grab your favorite package... :)

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@gnu.org>          Find some GNU make tips at:
 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/