Re: [rhertzog@hrnet.fr: Re: Helix GNOME packages for Debian available for testing.]

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 08:34:16AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi dear Helixcode hackers, :)
>
> i'm forwarding this mail that I crossposted (2 days ago) on
> gnome-devel-list@gnome.org & debian-gtk-gnome@lists.debian.org ...

Hmm, I replied to your mail privately. I'll put those notes in this
message. :)

> Le Thu, May 18, 2000 at 05:36:35PM -0400, Nat Friedman écrivait:
> >     We have heard your call and finally, we have answered.
>
> I've not yet checked your work, but I want to thank you right now anyway.
>
> But i'd like to know how you're planning to work for the future. I'd like
> that we merge our work between Helix & Debian. Can we decide a strategy
> to do this ?

Well, I would personally really like to become the official maintainer
of some of these things. It would make the packages a bit cleaner,
since they wouldn't have the -helix version numbers. I also wouldn't
have to hide the existing Debian packages, which is something I don't
really like doing. This will also take a load off the current
developers.

I believe that our packages are of sufficiently high quality to put
into the main distribution. If this isn't the case, it is certainly a
bug.

> I think that we could put the debian directory in the Gnome CVS. You put
> the debian directories provided by Helix Code, and the Debian maintainer
> would update what's needed (debian/control, debian/changelog) and would
> check what other differences there are in order to merge them if needed.

That's a possibility. There are already debian directories for quite a
few things in GNOME CVS though, and I wouldn't want to clobber them.

I think that we'll be moving to the setup described in the "Using CVS
together with Debian GNU/Linux packages" document soon at Helix:
http://www.debian.org/devel/HOWTO.cvs

Maybe we could make that setup accessible by the Debian maintainers,
as well.

> There's still some questions left, for example, Debian has some patches
> for some Gnome packages that are not integrated in the upstream sources,
> I don't know if we could put them in debian/patches in CVS or if we
> simply keep them in our .diff.gz without interfering with the Gnome CVS.

Keeping the patches in CVS should make this work pretty well. The
.diff.gz would be generated automatically in the cvs-buildpackage
process.

> And regarding the BTS, I think that it would be cool if we could choose
> one or the other. Or keep both, but then it would be cool that you check
> our BTS too ... ;-) Normally a good maintainer would forward the bug to
> the upstream author anyway but that's not always the case.

If I can become the maintainer for some of these things, we'll just
use the Debian BTS. That would be probably be the simplest solution.

As it is, I'm planning on checking the Debian BTS frequently. :)

Thanks for bringing these things up - I think it is good that we cover
them early on.

I have sent this message to the current recipients plus the recipients
of your original message: debian-gtk-gnome, gnome-devel-list, and
beta@helixcode.com.

Peter