Re: /etc/X11/window-managers

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 02:33:01PM +0300, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> >  Rainer> I can switch between window-managers like fvwm, twm, and even
> >  Rainer> kde by changing the order of the entries in
> >  Rainer> /etc/X11/window-managers.
> >
> >  Rainer> But I could not figure out so far, what the standard way is
> >  Rainer> to start gnome with let say WindowMaker or fvwm.
> >
> >  Rainer> Could anybody tell me?
> >
> > put in your .xsession:
> >
> > gnome-session &
> > exec windowmaker
> >
> > You can also choose a window manager from the control center and just
> > do:
> >
> > exec gnome-session
> >

> But that is different! /etc/X11/window-managers sets a global default,
> .xsession is only my local choice. Can't I use GNOME as a global default?
> Well, I know, there is /etc/X11/Xsession, but editing there for a
> window-manager is not consistent at all with Debian's /etc/X11/window-managers!

Gnome is not a window manager. I think i remember a enable-gnome option you
could choose somewhere, but don't remember exactly where. maybe in
/etc/X11/Xserver.

Also are the gnome package setup as to start gnome automatically ? a question
about this should be asked at install time, like what is done with xdm.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER