Re: OFF TOPIC: about: /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 03:55:58PM +0200, Lars Hallberg wrote:
> As an ordinary user I do not have acess to the proper forum for this
> question. Pleas somone forward it to a proper place unless it is
> obviusly stupid :-)

Well, as a user, you can contribute top the project just as everyone. The
appropriate list would have been debian-policy or debian-devel.

However, in this specific case, you're beating a dead horse :)
[it's almost rotten, too]

> To solv the /user/share/doc transaction, why not simply:
>
> mv /usr/doc /usr/share/doc
> ln -s /usr/share/doc /usr/doc
>
> (OK, if /usr/share/doc already exist som kind of merge will have to
> take plays but a script shuld be able to do that good enuf).

You already realize that such a script would be more complicated than that.
It would have to deal with several partitions, possible emergency cases like
out of disk space, probably remotely mounted partitions etc.

Also, to do it proper, you would need to modify dpkg's database, as there
are trouble with (not) following symlinks. This is especially hairy and also
evil regardless which way you do it.

Such a script was proposed several times but never implemented properly.

Also consider installing old packages in this scheme, please, or downgrades,
and what dpkg does about the symlink and the files below /usr/share/doc and
/usr/doc.

> Make a 'dumy' pakage that runs that script in its instalation.
>
> All pakages upgraded to use /usr/share/doc just predepend on that
> pakage an can therfor asume /usr/share/doc is correctly in place.

In this case, all packages would end up with a pre-dependency on a dummy
package, something which is considered to be very ugly and can confuse
some of our older installation methods.

> The symlink (/usr/doc) can be lefted, posably anonsing to the
> users that it can be removed (when all packages is updated).
> I will probable keep it myself, to save myself some typing ;-)

Well, you're right that the /usr/doc symlink is of little concern.

> Is there any 'proper' forum for user sugestions?

Yes, everybody can make suggestions on debian-devel or proposals on
debian-policy. But I want to encourage you to do a LOT more research before
starting such a discussion, or you may end up flamed to a crisp ;). There are
several hundred messages in the archive of the debian-policy list (available
on the web site) which discuss all advantages and disadvantages of the above
proposal in any detail you could want. The same for half a dozen of
variaions or alternate proposals.

Thanks,
Marcus