Re: Debian menu

Talking to myself again...

I've been playing with /etc/menu-methods/gnome-panel today.

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 10:45:00AM +0100, Steve Haslam wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 01:53:55PM -0300, Lalo Martins wrote:
> > 1st, this could only be really good if the menu method had some
> > way of matching icons to the entries. The way things are today,
> > the Debian menu is uglier than the GNOME menu, so less
> > user-friendly in one aspect at least.
>
> Istr there is a way of including icons in the Debian menus- although only
> one or two entries actually do this. Perhaps an effort to get mini-icons
> made and put into packages would be good here?

If an icon is named in the /usr/lib/menu file, then it will be
used. I've now hacked the menu method to look in
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps/ if it isn't an absolute path (e.g. gv
just does 'icon="mini-gv.xpm"').

Also, the submenu entries now get folder icons, because I figured out
how to generate .directory files.

As for other applications not having icons- this is something that has
to be changed by package maintainers. I'm sorry, but I can't sensibly
put stuff in the menu method to guess which icon goes to which program
:} The way to match an icon to a program is to reference it in the
package's menu file, and there's no better way than that imho.

SRH
--
Steve Haslam               Debian GNU/Linux               araqnid@debian.org
orbit, gnome-libs, gnome-core, gnome-control-center, gdm, p3nfs,