Re: [PROPOSAL] Manpage for standard Gtk/Gnome options

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 06:23:58PM +0200, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> Quite interesting how many options are supported only by linking against gnome
> and gtk - but do we need this in any manpage of a gtk/gnome-program? I would
> suggest to write a manpage for the common options of such programs, e.g.
> gtk-options and gnome-options.

Sounds good. Although I think only gnome-options is applicable, since
gtk doesn't do option parsing and doesn't have fixed command options
(afaicr).

> As I do not understand how each of this option is used, I am probably not the
> best person to do this but if nobody else does this I could read the source.

Hmmm.... Of course, just giving "--help" will produce a quick summary
of common options:

GNOME Options
  --disable-sound             Disable sound server usage
  --enable-sound              Enable sound server usage
  --espeaker=HOSTNAME:PORT    Host:port on which the sound server to use is
                              running

These are fairly simple...

Help options
  -?, --help                  Show this help message
  --usage                     Display brief usage message

And these...

GTK options
  --gdk-debug=FLAGS           Gdk debugging flags to set
  --gdk-no-debug=FLAGS        Gdk debugging flags to unset
  --display=DISPLAY           X display to use
  --sync                      Make X calls synchronous
  --no-xshm                   Don't use X shared memory extension
  --name=NAME                 Program name as used by the window manager
  --class=CLASS               Program class as used by the window manager
  --gxid_host=HOST
  --gxid_port=PORT
  --xim-preedit=STYLE
  --xim-status=STYLE
  --gtk-debug=FLAGS           Gtk+ debugging flags to set
  --gtk-no-debug=FLAGS        Gtk+ debugging flags to unset
  --g-fatal-warnings          Make all warnings fatal
  --gtk-module=MODULE         Load an additional Gtk module

These are options I doubt if most users will want to use, except
--name, --class and --display.

GNOME GUI options
  -V, --version

Easy.

Help options
  -?, --help                  Show this help message
  --usage                     Display brief usage message

Familiar.

Session management options
  --sm-client-id=ID           Specify session management ID
  --sm-config-prefix=PREFIX   Specify prefix of saved configuration
  --sm-disable                Disable connection to session manager

These should *generally* be generated internally to the program when
communicating with the session manager. The exception, of course,
being --sm-disable.

SRH
--
Steve Haslam               Debian GNU/Linux               araqnid@debian.org
gnome-libs, gnome-core, gnome-control-center, gdm, p3nfs.    what, me worry?