Re: Backporting podman

Krumelmonster <krumelmonster@zoho.com> writes:

> Dear go package maintainers,
>
> I would like to see podman>=4.4 make it into bookworm backports so the
> excellent quadlet feature would become available in debian stable. I'm
> inexperienced in debian packaging and gave up on my first attempt in
> creating this backport due to the sheer number of (indirect)
> dependencies missing in bookworm.
>
> Only after that have I learned about dh-make-golang but it is unclear
> to me whether or how I could use it to create the backports.
>
> Has someone looked into backporting podman before and where there issues?
> Are there any instructions on how to backport go packages in
> particular? What could be my starting point for attempting this?
>
> I would be very happy if someone else took the time to create the
> backport but it is important enough to me to attempt the backport
> myself and ask for sponsorship should it succeed. In that case, any
> advice would be welcome.

Hi.  I'm a go packaging newbie, but would also like to see this.  I tend
to install unofficial podman (e.g., [1]) when the available podman is
too old, and working on official backports could help.

I think you can simply try to build the current podman packages from
testing in a bookworm chroot, and then fix whatever breakage there is.
Most likely you will need to backport a number of reverse dependencies
to get podman to build.  There is no need to use dh-make-golang which is
used to create a new package.  I'm happy to help, but my spare cycles to
work on Go packages are stocastic and limited.

/Simon

[1] https://gitlab.com/debdistutils/debdistreproduce/-/blob/main/gitlab-runner-with-podman-on-trisquel-aramo.md