Re: podman's debian/copyright

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 07:20:30AM -0400, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> I happen to know (because I occasionally attend the podman community meetings) that
> podman is developed mostly by redhat employees.

I suspected something similar. I think it would not be bad if upstream
could clarify this in the sources as well.

Now they think that because podman is on the ok side, then
oci-seccomp-bpf-hook should work in the same way. Except that I don't have
any informal way to attribute any copyright holder and I'm not even sure
if that is a preferrable approach.

> What was the wording of the reject message.

"the copyright holder in your debian/copyright does not seem to be
 correct.  Where did you find the mentioned one?"

My debian/copyright was quite naive and I think it's been rightly
rejected:

Files: *
Copyright: 2019, Containers
License: Apache-2.0

Don't know exaclty how that was filled in by dh-make-golang.

> Maybe you can also attribute the copyright to redhat,

Nope, see [0]

> or simply the "oci-seccomp-bpf-hook developers"?

They also proposed it but it frankly sounds like a lazy answer. See my [1].

Nevertheless, I don't think ftp-masters would (and should) accept any
statement of mine (or yours) not backed by something written in the source
code by the upstream.

Am I looking too much like a lawyer? :)

> best,
> -rt

thanks,
Dom

[0] https://github.com/containers/oci-seccomp-bpf-hook/issues/99#issuecomment-1222118895
[1] https://github.com/containers/oci-seccomp-bpf-hook/issues/99#issuecomment-1222140064

--
rsa4096: 3B10 0CA1 8674 ACBA B4FE  FCD2 CE5B CF17 9960 DE13
ed25519: FFB4 0CC3 7F2E 091D F7DA  356E CC79 2832 ED38 CB05