Re: Plans for golang-goprotobuf to unstable?

On Sat, 2022-07-09 at 21:50 +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> >    We're now just a little over six months from the bookworm
> > freezes
> > beginning [1]. I think we need to make a decision on what steps to
> take
> > to ensure that there will be enough time to complete the protobuf
> work
> > well in advance of the freeze so things can be in a good state for
> the
> > bookworm release.
>
> Right.
>
> >    I don't know how the wider go ecosystem has been adapting to the
> > breaking changes, or what other distros are doing, but maybe that
> could
> > provide some guidance for what we do in Debian.
> >
> >    For fun, this weekend I rebuilt all the reverse dependencies of
> > golang-goprotobuf-dev, v1.5.2 that's staged in experimental. Of the
> 258
> > rdeps, only 24 failed to build. Of those:
>
> That's great! How did you do?

  First I used `dget` to download the source for the version from
experimental and built the package locally for unstable. I then used
ratt to automatically rebuild all the rdeps: `ratt golang-
goprotobuf_1.5.2-1_amd64.changes`

> >    * 12 packages legitimately fail to build with the updated
> > golang-
> > goprotobuf-dev (notary, continuity, golang-v2ray-core, golang-
> github-
> > grpc-ecosystem-grpc-gateway, golang-github-grpc-ecosystem-go-grpc-
> > middleware, mirrorbits, golang-github-hashicorp-go-plugin, golang-
> > github-gin-gonic-gin, golang-gopkg-rethinkdb-rethinkdb-go.v6,
> nomad,
> > golang-github-rootless-containers-proto, golang-github-grpc-
> ecosystem-
> > go-grpc-prometheus)
> >
> >    * 8 packages have existing FTBFS issues (with filed bugs) in
> > unstable, unrelated to the updated golang-goprotobuf-dev
> (prometheus-
> > tplink-plug-exporter, golang-github-go-chef-chef, golang-github-
> viant-
> > toolbox, debiman, cadvisor, prometheus-homeplug-exporter, golang-
> > github-manyminds-api2go, gitlab-ci-multi-runner)
> >
> >    * 1 package is a legitimate candidate for removal from the
> archive:
> > golang-gopkg-gorethink-gorethink.v3 (no rdeps in main)
> >
> >    * 3 packages have versions staged in experimental that build
> properly
> > (gobgp, gitaly, golang-google-grpc)
> >

> Do you have any logs?

  Sure -- I've posted a compressed archive on my site:
http://calenhad.com/golang-goprotobuf-dev_buildlogs.tar.xz (11.8MB) It
won't live there forever, but attaching the archive would be too large
for a mailing list.

Mathias