Re: security updates of Golang packages

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 6:30 AM Thorsten Alteholz <debian@alteholz.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022, Shengjing Zhu wrote:
> > For binNMU, it's also possible to add Dep-Wait.
>
> Hmm, but that would be some manually work, wouldn't it?
>
> > I don't have a preference for it. And I think binNMU is not friendly
> > to Debian derivatives.
>
> Ok, that is a good point.
>
> > For ratt and other packages focusing on Build-Depends, they ensure
> > other packages won't FTBFS.
> > For tools focusing on (Static-)Built-Using, they ensure the embedded
> > libraries are up to date.
>
> I would like to object here.
>
> If you look at package crowdsec, you find no dependency on
> golang-github-tidwall-gjson in its Built-Using:, but only an entry for
> golang-github-appleboy-gin-jwt.
>
> golang-github-appleboy-gin-jwt for its part depends on
> golang-github-tidwall-gjson-dev.
>
> So wouldn't be crowdsec affected by a CVE in golang-github-tidwall-gjson,
> which is not detected when using Built-Using: but only by Build-Depends:?
>
> At least I got more packages to be rebuilt when using ratt than with
> Built-Using: ...

This is exactly the case for false positives of Build-Depends.

For golang-github-appleboy-gin-jwt, golang-github-tidwall-gjson is
only used in its tests.
Ref: https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=github.com%2Ftidwall%2Fgjson+filetype%3Ago+package%3A%5CQgolang-github-appleboy-gin-jwt%5CE&literal=1

--
Shengjing Zhu