Re: Transitioning golang-goprotobuf to unstable?

Hi

Am 31.01.22 um 14:45 schrieb Shengjing Zhu:
On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 9:32 AM Peymaneh <peymaneh@posteo.net> wrote:

Yes, it is not a direct dependency, Caddy requires
1. golang-github-google-cel-go-dev, which requires
2. golang-github-google-cel-spec-dev, which requires
3. golang-goprotobuf-dev (>= 1.4.3~)

I see there are 2 problems.

1. For golang-github-google-cel-spec-dev, if you follow the rule that
we should not use generated files provided by upstream(as they are not
in preferred form of modification) , then you can get rip of the
dependency of golang-goprotobuf-dev. Because when you regenerate pb.go
files by the new protoc-gen-go,  the result pb.go only depends
golang-google-protobuf-dev.
2. For golang-github-google-cel-go-dev, I think the cel-server package
can be dropped. When I read the upstream readme, I think it's mainly a
library. IMO The included server binary has little value for normal
users. After dropping the cel-server part, then there's no dependency
on golang-github-google-cel-spec-dev.

Thanks a lot, that is very helpful.
Also, dropping the cel-server binary sounds reasonable, I had only included it for the sake of completeness when packaging the library.

kind regards,
Peymaneh