Questions About Packaging NNCP for Debian

Hello folks,

I have been using NNCP http://www.nncpgo.org/ for some time now and find it an invaluable piece of software. It is written in Go, with tarballs available at http://www.nncpgo.org/Tarballs.html , which also summarizes the libraries it uses. It is also available at git://git.cypherpunks.ru/nncp.git

I am familiar with quite a few programming languages, though not Go.

Not all of its dependencies are already packaged up in Debian. I found the go-team page and it looks like packaging up the deps should be fairly straightforward. Is it OK if I file ITPs, and package, those that are missing in Debian? (with go-team in the control file as appropriate?) What happens if NNCP wants a package that's already in Debian, but at a different version?

Now then, NNCP itself. The tarballs include all of the dependencies, in an effort to make it super easy to compile/install. (And it succeeds; "contrib/do install" generally does the trick on every platform.) However I'm not sure enough of the nitty-gritty of Go packaging to know how to adapt it to use the system libraries. The git repo does not include all the deps, and has tags for releases, but I would prefer to use the tarballs if possible.

Thanks!

- John