Re: Outdated (indirect) build dependencies for caddy

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 11:55 PM Peymaneh Nejad <p.nejad@posteo.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> there is two packages I am working on that depend on packages that are in
> unstable, but outdated.
>
> first is go.step.sm/linkedca
> which depends on a newer version of golang-google-grpc-dev. I have filed a
> bug[1] and offered to update the package myself but not received an answer.
> I would propose to go on and do an update myself on a debian/experimental branch

I think there's no problem if you work on _experimental_. As the name
indicates, it's experimental. Meanwhile the packages are team
maintained, you can do a team upload.

Just don't upload to _unstable_ currently, as we are in freeze.

However if the freeze is over, then you want to bump version in
unstable, please test the library's reverse-depends[1]. We share a
single version of a library. Just like caddy pin a particular version
of a library, other packages do the same. The procedure is more like a
transition[1], but without asking release team for a time slot and
binNMU.

[1] The recommended tool is ratt,
https://manpages.debian.org/unstable/ratt/ratt.1.en.html
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions