Re: [RFS] golang-mozilla-pkcs7

Am 11.07.21 um 15:35 schrieb Nilesh Patra:

Hi,

On 11 July 2021 6:51:19 pm IST, Peymaneh Nejad <p.nejad@posteo.de> wrote:
Hi Nilesh

Am 02.07.21 um 14:51 schrieb Nilesh Patra:
On 02/07/21 12:04 PM, Peymaneh Nejad wrote:

Another dependency for step-cli:

https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-mozilla-pkcs7

There's already github.com/fullsailor/pkcs7 of which the go.mozilla
package is a fork.
Is it impossible to replace the go.mozilla pkcs7 with the former in
the
package?

If yes, that should be done. I do not see a lot of point (or any
point) in
packaging
forks unless very essential.
As an example, it has been done here[1] so if you can do
so, make some tweaks and check, that'd be good.

If it does not work, maybe it'd be better to add missing
functionalitites as a debian patch to  github.com/fullsailor/pkcs7
provided it isn't too hard to maintain

I looked into the diffs between the fullsailor/pkcs7 and the mozilla
fork since
this is also a dependency of smallstep/certificates (another of caddys
dependencies).

To sum up:
4 of the 7 functions that are used have been modified directly or
indirectly by
the fork. A complete overview of the changes is here[1]

While some of the changes are rather easy to patch (like adding support
for
another en-/decryption mode while staying backwards compatible) there
are some
commits that change the functions themselves and I am not sure if I can
grasp
the implications of the changes to the functionality of the package.

Please have a look and let me know what you think

Looks like a rather huge delta, unfortunately. However, what I was asking for was not to see what's different between the fork and the original package.

What I wanted to ask and wanted you to test was:

1. Does smallstep/certificates (the package which you're targetting) work with fullsailor/pkcs7 instead of mozilla/pkcs7?

2. If it does not, will it be possible to apply some minimal patches to fullsailor/pkc7 to make it work?

If choice 1 works, change the import paths and done. If choice 2 works, simply patch the fullsailor/pkcs7 package a little and we are good to go.

If none of these work, I'd want to think of uploading the fork then.

Ah, I see. Then I'll try that. Thx for your patience :)

Peymaneh