Re: i386 baseline issue for Go packages in Bookworm

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 at 10:10, Shengjing Zhu <zhsj@debian.org> wrote:
> 1. Raise the i386 baseline to SSE2.
> 2. Downgrade the Go packages to softfloat.
> 3. Build all Go packages with GCCGO on i386.

We've been setting "GO386=387" since src:golang was introduced, so 2.
is already the reality. :D

What makes Go 1.16 complicated in this regard is that they've renamed
the value to "softfloat" but the bootstrap compiler still needs it set
to "387"...

See also https://github.com/golang/go/issues/44500 for more details
(and/or the failure in
https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=golang-1.16&arch=i386&ver=1.16.3-1&stamp=1618691947&file=log).
I think our "simplest" solution, since we know the buildds don't need
softfloat, is what yosifkit suggests in that upstream bug (building
the bootstrap compiler explicitly as a separate step, then setting
GO386=softfloat for the real build).  Maybe also include "sse2-support
[i386]" in "Build-Depends" just to be explicit?

Another "fun" upstreamism we need to be aware of is
https://github.com/golang/go/issues/44505 (upgrading the bootstrap
compiler to require 1.16+ for 1.18+).

♥,
- Tianon
  4096R / B42F 6819 007F 00F8 8E36  4FD4 036A 9C25 BF35 7DD4