Best practices for test data?

Hi,

While working on various packages, the default configuration (right
after `dh-make-golang make -type l …`) led to test suite failures
because of missing test data. The dh-golang manpage was helpful, and a
single export fixed the issue, ensuring the required files would end
up in the build directory:

    export DH_GOLANG_INSTALL_EXTRA := patterns patterns_fail.txt patterns_pass.txt

But this has the side effect of shipping test data in the resulting
binary package. Looking around, such things seem to exist in various
other packages, as evidenced by random-searching other binary packages:

    for x in *deb; do dpkg --contents $x | grep /test_; done | grep -v \\.go$

(The filter on `/test_` was mainly to increase the chances of having
“obviously test data”-like hits without having to exercise my best
judgement afterwards.)

So I wanted to check with you whether shipping test data is actually
fine, or whether I should actually strip that from the binary package.
In the latter case, I'd be happy to learn about the recommended way of
dropping those. :)

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
--