Guidance to start contributing

Hi go-team,

I'd like to start contributing to debian's go packaging, at least
occasionally. And to that end introduce myself quickly and maybe get
some guidance, so that I can add value while causing the least possible
amount of work to get the quality of my contributions to where they need
to be :)

I am a long-time debian user (well at least subjectively, given my age
xD ), but until now only rarely touched upon packaging. I did some bug
triaging and lately a small patch contribution to Syncthing (for which I
am an upstream maintainer). My motivation to help is definitely fueled
by a desire to have as good a Syncthing in debian as possible. However
also by the ongoing discussion about how "the debian way" works best and
can add value with static languages like Go and others, which I think is
interesting and important to have.

I likely jumped the gun with my latest MR:
https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-github-shirou-gopsutil/-/merge_requests/1 ;

I should have first announced my intention to work on this in the
relevant bug report and to prevent duplicate effort. I have a tendency
of first doing things, to see that it works, before talking about them.
I'll approach things more coordinated next time.

In general, what's the best way to go about updating an existing package
(or do any other changes): Should I open a bug report against said
packaging, something like an "intend to update" wishlist bug? Or is it
just fine opening an MR directly?
I am mainly asking about low-activity team-maintained packages - if
there's lots of activity it's usually easy to see from history what the
established processes are.

I tried to follow the practices outlined in
https://go-team.pages.debian.net/workflow-changes.html while also not
deviating too much from the packages practice in history, and have been
mostly using "gbp". Are there any general tips&tricks/dos&don'ts you'd
consider particularly helpful to a newbie about go packaging, or
generally debian packaging? I am aware of the extensive documentation
available and am consulting it - I am asking because in that
extensiveness it's easy to miss the most impactful bits.

This might not be the ideal time to ask for guidance, given the New Year
is approaching (and there's this nasty real-life-bug going around) - I
am in no rush though and happy to receive any reaction at any time :)

Best wishes and stay safe,
Simon