Re: RFS for 6 go packages

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020, 19:56 Andreas Henriksson, <andreas@fatal.se> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Minor comment below.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 07:13:14PM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2020, 18:36 Andreas Henriksson, <andreas@fatal.se> wrote:
>
> > Hello again,
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 09:12:09PM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> > [...]
> > > * golang-go.uber-zap [3] - This also has RFA, and hence I have added my
> > > name to uploaders.
> > [...]
> > > [3]: https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-go.uber-zap
> > [...]
> >
> > The upstream/1.14.1 tag is missing in the git repo, please make sure to
> > push tags.
>

> Pushed for all the updates.
>
> (gbp push will help you DTRT. Also as you mentioned I agree
> > it's better if the uploader pushes the debian/* tag when the package
> > is actually uploaded, but other tags like upstream/* you really have
> > to push. OTOH it's also ok by me if you push the debian/* tag. When
> > you're the maintainer you decide about releases, even if some of them
> > mighht never make it into the official archive.)
> >

> Thanks, but I'll leave that to the uploader to do it, as a good practice.
>

> > Some things to note that would make it easier for a drive-by sponsor
> > like me to review your work:
> >
> > * New upstream release.
> >
> >   I don't trust golang stuff to not break API every release, so please
> >   tell me (in your RFS) if you've:
> >    - investigated possible API breaks
> >

> I did, but didn't find any 'breaking' changes here.
>
>    - tested building reverse dependencies (see ratt)
> >

> No, I didn't do this. I admit that it's a little difficult for me to do,
> with the limited bandwidth that I have as of now. I'll try doing this
> whenever I can, then.
> Btw, is this a (major) package which can break a lot of stuff?
> If it isn't, then I'll prefer to skip ratt, as it's beyond my current
> computation power and bandwidth to do; also I'm not sure if this would
> bring in major changes, since this package was already broken.
> Apologies if this doesn't sound good to you.

No worries. Thanks for telling me the status about this.

:-)

I've not personally used it but it sounds for your situation that
deb-o-matic might be something you're interested in using.

Ah, didn't know about this. Sounds good!

See also currently ongoing discussion about 'ratt as a service'
on debian-devel. Personally I think it would be nice to have
possibility to trigger ratt manually when needed on a salsa/gitlab
CI pipeline. Unfortunately this doesn't exist (yet), so for now
people mostly use their own resources for rebuilds.

Yep, I read the discussion on the list, it would personally make it a lot easier for me too.
Hope it gets implemented soon.

>    - any other useful info related to the new release that I should be
> >      aware of (like any particular reason for updating it).
> >

> I updated this to keep it close to upstream version, no other ulterior
> motive, really.
>

> > * debian/compat to debhelper-compat
> >
> >   - You forgot to mention that you also bumped compat from 10 to 12!
> >     This is more important to mention than changing from file to
> >     virtual package dep. (See also lintian-brush which will help
> >     you do these kinds of changes and DTRT with commit messages.)
> >

> Noted.
>

> > * debian/copyright changes
> >
> >   Please mention all changes in debian/changelog !!!
> >   The commit message doesn't help me much either. Please write good
> >   commit messages describing not only what you did but also why.
> >

> Since this wasn't changing a lot, I didn't write the commit message
> explaining the 'why' of it, but thanks for pointing out, and I'll keep this
> in mind from now on.
>
>   Please use 'gbp dch' to generate debian/changelog which will
> >   help you make sure to mention all changes in the changelog
> >   as well as making sure your commit messages has the quality
> >   that is expected from debian/changelog messages.
> >   I still don't know if I agree with dropping the Files-Excluded
> >   change (and also don't know your reason for doing that).
> >

> I looked up upstream and didn't find the vendor directory or Godeps there,
> and hence removed them.
> Should this change not have been done?

If upstream adds one it'll be easy to mistakenly import them in future
updates. I'd say it's safer to keep the Files-Excluded for consistency
within the team packages and as a safety precaution for future imports.
Better safe than sorry.

Yep, and it seems you have already reverted the commit, thanks :)
Please consider uploading this, as and when it's convenient for you.

Regards,