Re: undefined: proto.GoGoProtoPackageIsVersion3

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 6:38 AM Tong Sun
<suntong001@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build github.com/tonistiigi/fsutil
> as a Debian package but am meeting with building problems -- the build
> failed because of the `undefined: proto.GoGoProtoPackageIsVersion3`
> error. The full build log included at the end of the message.
>
> I did some researches on such problem, and it seems to have been
> caused by that the github.com:golang/protobuf version used by
> github.com/tonistiigi/fsutil (v1.3.1) and that provided by
> golang-gogoprotobuf-dev package (1.2.1) are different.
>
> Now here is the real problem, according to
> https://github.com/golang/protobuf/issues/763
> If I bring golang-gogoprotobuf-dev package to v1.3.1, then all other
> packages currently depending on it will break. Anyone can confirm
> that?
>
> So, is the solution be that I create a golang-gogoprotobuf.v1.3-dev
> package and use it instead? Anyone knows how specific the
> golang/protobuf version has to be? Would the match between package
> version provided and consumed has to be exactly the same? I.e., do we
> need to create golang-gogoprotobuf.v1.3.1-dev then later
> golang-gogoprotobuf.v1.3.6-dev etc?

Those are two different problems.

1. you should regenerate the pb.go files, as these are not preferred source.
2. we eventually should update golang-gogoprotobuf to latest version.
But when update, we should take care of the build-rdepends. tldr
version is to run ratt[1] to see if there's any regression.

[1] https://github.com/debian/ratt

--
Shengjing Zhu