Re: Basics of packaging with the new workflow

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 3:18 AM Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@debian.org> wrote:
On Sunday, 1 March 2020 5:46:59 AM AEDT Tong Sun wrote:
> I'm a completely newbie when it comes to Debian or Debian-Go
> packaging, so would you elaborate on this a bit Dmitry, so that newbie
> like me can understand the difficulties. I.e., if I'm taking the
> DEP-14 and GBP repository route, what kind of road blocks I would
> meet, e.g., what were the instances you found that it is not
> sufficient?

Thanks for asking this question. I've spent several days writing the summary
about those things and eventually ran out out time and energy to edit it
further. Please have a look at the following drafty draft drafts -- I hope at
least some of it will make sense:

  * https://salsa.debian.org/onlyjob/notes/-/wikis/no-dep14
  * https://salsa.debian.org/onlyjob/notes/-/wikis/no-gbp
  * https://salsa.debian.org/onlyjob/notes/-/wikis/bp

Perhaps I should be courageous enough to post it to debian-devel and let
people eat me alive for challenging the most proliferated layout of git
repositories for Debian packaging. ;)

I appreciate sharing your thoughts in this way. What occurs to me
when reading in particular your 'bp' and 'no-gbp' articles is that
your main concern are "unnecessary" "pre-requirements/dependencies".
You are essentially suggesting to restrict the usage of git to a
transport utility, and also just for the packaging (i.e., the debian/
subdirectory). For the transport of the actual sources, you suggest
to heavily rely on the origtargz utility.

I think you are dismissing that gbp values that packagers can embrace
all functionality that "git" provides. For instance, I value a *lot*
that I don't have to know "quilt" very well. Instead, I can "git am"
patches from configured remote upstream git repostiories. I value that
I can do:
  # git format-patch -1 -o debian/patches/new-patch &&
      echo new-patch >> debian/patches/series'

I appreciate that I can "git diff --stat" against upstream git branches
to identify what files were stripped or not stripped from the original
upstream sources. I appreciate that I can use 'git grep' to explore
the upstream source code.

Yes, that requires a high level of proficiency with the 'git' tool. It
will not help you as much if upstream doesn't use git. And still, I observe
a momentum towards this workflow, as most recently shown in Ian's work
on 'dgit' and the resulting conversations on debian-devel.

--
regards,
    Reinhard