Re: RFS for shellescape

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 9:10 AM Jai Flack <jflack@disroot.org> wrote:

> Hi Bradford,
>
> Sadly I'm not here to offer sponsorship but would also like to see
> this
> packaged.
>
> I had a look through your packaging and noticed a few issues:
>
>  1. It lacks a manual (I don't believe this is very important but
>  still
>     pointed out by lintian).

It looks like `lintian` treats this as a warning. I can write a manual
but the `escargs` utility doesn't have any options or environment
variables that it reads, so I am not sure if it is worth the effort.
>  2. Your description for package
>  golang-github-alessio-shellescape-dev
>     is poorly constructed and needs improvement such as removing
>     the
>     "Travis-CI Status", et. al. links and code examples.

I've updated the package description to remove the CI badges and the
code examples.
https://salsa.debian.org/bradfordboyle/shellescape/-/commit/8eddd1b7d3fa376767bc8ac566d7dff50b9849b5
>  3. It doesn't package the binary (escargs)

I've added a separate/additional package for the `escargs` utility,
which was originally being packaged in the *-dev package.
https://salsa.debian.org/bradfordboyle/shellescape/-/commit/8eddd1b7d3fa376767bc8ac566d7dff50b9849b5
> Because your RFS is now a year old:
>  4. It is a version behind upstream

The RFS/ITP are only four months old (April 2020) and the latest
version I see on upstream is v1.2.2
(https://github.com/alessio/shellescape/releases/tag/v1.2.2). There
have been some commits since then, but none of them are functional
changes (https://github.com/alessio/shellescape/compare/v1.2.2...master).
> Not sure if this matters:
>  5. Salsa repository isn't part of go-team

I do not have permission to write the shellescape repo owned by the
go-team. I have been pushing my code to a personal repo on Salsa
(https://salsa.debian.org/bradfordboyle/shellescape). I thought I
requested access to the go-team repo through the GitLab CI but is this
not the preferred way of requesting access?