Re: [dh-make-golang][Solution]

Hey,

Thank you for the follow-up. Yes, along the way we can fix the minor
patches and add more features to it. I am definitely up for taking this forward
and will raise a PR with fixes probably by December, as right now I am fully packed with
other commitments, like exams and talks. I  hope you understand.

In meanwhile, I will keep thinking for what else can be done to make it better.

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 9:35 PM Utkarsh Gupta <guptautkarsh2102@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey,

On 18/07/19 10:35 am, Raman Tehlan wrote:
> Hello Utkarsh,
>
> Here are the comments on your inspection report.
>
>  1. The reason you are getting three different results is intentional.
>     Graph and Tree will print all the dependencies with respective
>     structure, while the list will only print the 1st level dependencies.
>  2. While creating this tool I use the same checking convention as
>     used by dh-make-golang, so both GoCheckDeb and dh-make-golang are
>     using
>     https://api.ftp-master.debian.org/binary/by_metadata/Go-Import-Path
>     to check if a dependency is packaged. I think you can cross-check
>     with the team about which method we should be using, if it's a
>     different one, I will be happy to implement it. :)
>  3. As I mentioned earlier, eventually this tool will be a part of
>     dh-make-golang estimate command, since I also created a package
>     for it, and the tool is just to test it out.
>  4. As I explained to you in the telegram app, that this tool or no
>     tool can work on a project/folder which does not have the golang
>     files in the mentioned path. So, if you go to
>     https://github.com/zyedidia/micro, it doesn't contain a single
>     golang file, rather you should use the tool on following path
>     https://github.com/zyedidia/micro/cmd/micro, which directs to a
>     directory which actually contains the source code in golang files,
>     checks it on GitHub here:
>     https://github.com/zyedidia/micro/tree/master/cmd/micro/.
>  5. we do need to check with full depth, to understand why, let me
>     quote the issue(https://github.com/Debian/dh-make-golang/issues/89)
>                        " While running,dh-make-golang <package-name>
>     we get a list of dependencies which are still not in Debian.
>                          Then we have to do the same thing for all the
>     dependencies and their sub-dependencies on multiple hierarchies
>     manually."
>     The reason we need to check sub-dependencies is that golang is
>     compiled , so all the packages needs to be downloaded while
>     compiling and if there is even a sub-package of a sub-package
>     which is not yet in Debian, we can not compile the original
>     package we intended to get on Debian.
>
> I hope I was able to clear all the raised doubts but is there is
> anything I missed, please feel free to reach out to me here or any
> other platform. :)

Perfect, thanks for the explanation.
Only recently, I found out this to very helpful when dh-make-golang
estimate failed because of some "unrecognized import path". However this
tool worked brilliantly.
Though I haven't verified the results but I am sure they're correct!

However, there are some small nitpicks which would be great to have them
fixed but it's probably good to go now! We can always patch things as we go.

Whilst it's been too long, would you still be interested in taking this
forward?
I'd personally love to see this in the archive.

Best,
Utkarsh