Re: Removing Telegraf dependencies

Hi!

On Tue, 2018-11-13 at 10:36:55 -0500, Alexandre Viau wrote:
> I remember you sending a couple of RFS bugs with packaging for Telegraf
> dependencies.

I still keep packaging it for our own use. I recently did again
for 1.7.x, I think had pending sending the updated packaging!

> I originally intended to package Telegraf but I have given up on it due
> to the fact that they just keep on adding new modules to support
> monitoring every single app in the universe and this leads to infinite
> dependencies and it changes all the time.

I've also reached the conclusion that trying to package dependencies
to be able to enable all plugins is insane. For our needs I've enabled
only the plugins that we use, but there are many others that can be
easily enabled from stuff already present in Debian.

I think what I've ended up doing is the best course of action, and
while I initially thought it was not proper for Debian, I do now think
it is the sanest way forward if you are still interested.

So my recommendation would be to not try to enable all plugins, and
start with whatever is present, because that's better than no telegraf
at all IMO, and then if people request new things they can be added
step by step, or not at all, etc.

> I still maintain a couple of Telegraf dependencies and I intend to open
> RM bugs for them, unless someone steps up to maintain them.

If you are going to do that, we'd appreciate adavanced warning with
the list of those involved, so we can perhaps get someone to look
after them. Thanks. :)

Regards,
Guillem