Re: busybox sh broken on i386 with glibc 2.26, leads to kernel panic

Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> (2018-01-17):
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > busybox is compiled with -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 on i386 which has
> > the same effect of reducing the default stack alignment from 16 bytes to
> > 2 bytes. This comes from arch/i386/Makefile:
> >
> > |  # -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 is essential in preventing gcc 4.2.x
> > |  # from aligning stack to 16 bytes. (Which is gcc's way of supporting SSE).
> > |  CFLAGS += $(call cc-option,-march=i386 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2,)
> >
> > I don't really get why it is essential to prevent gcc from aligning
> > stack to 16 bytes, anyway this is a bad idea. Removing this option just
> > fixes the issue.

Oh wow, that's an old commit:
| commit 65b8cfb2a0b6854271dbd8baf5203896223cd4ce
| Author: Denis Vlasenko <vda.linux@googlemail.com>
| Date:   Mon Jul 23 21:05:06 2007 +0000
|
|     add comment why preferred stack boundary is 4 on i386

> I confirm that rebuilding busybox with this option dropped fixed the issue
> for me. I uploaded a fixed busybox to Kali. I'm happy to do the same for
> Debian if it can help the current maintainers.

Fixing it ASAP would look good to me (unless you here differently from
Chris or Christoph); it would be great to ping upstream to propagate
Aurélien's comments too.

Cheers,