Re: busybox sh broken on i386 with glibc 2.26, leads to kernel panic

Hello,

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> busybox is compiled with -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 on i386 which has
> the same effect of reducing the default stack alignment from 16 bytes to
> 2 bytes. This comes from arch/i386/Makefile:
>
> |  # -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 is essential in preventing gcc 4.2.x
> |  # from aligning stack to 16 bytes. (Which is gcc's way of supporting SSE).
> |  CFLAGS += $(call cc-option,-march=i386 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2,)
>
> I don't really get why it is essential to prevent gcc from aligning
> stack to 16 bytes, anyway this is a bad idea. Removing this option just
> fixes the issue.

I confirm that rebuilding busybox with this option dropped fixed the issue
for me. I uploaded a fixed busybox to Kali. I'm happy to do the same for
Debian if it can help the current maintainers.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer