Re: Handling s390 libc ABI change in Debian

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 07:18:39AM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> I can follow up with a list affected packages, but we are slowly
> discovering them one by one, so it might takes time. So far we have:
>
> * Mixing modules/libraries built with pre-2.19 and 2.19 libc
> - perl
> - libpng
>
> * Using libc 2.19 without rebuilding anything:
> - gauche
> - mono

I think it's pretty important for perl to keep working as much as is
required for the system to upgrade itself. I'd be a bit less concerned
(aside already broken binary compatibility) if the base system keeps
working during the upgrade.

We could conceivably document the breakage in the release upgrade notes,
as long as updates can complete and suggest a reboot afterwards.

> It's a huge work for Debian, maybe not for other distribution, as it
> basically means we have to rebootstrap everything. This includes manual
> bootstrapping of self-dependent languages (haskell, gnat, ...) and
> manual handling of some dependencies loop. In addition it's something
> which hasn't been done since the libc5 transition, so we might discover
> some unexpected issues.

Will it necessarily explode if both libcs are loaded into the same
address space or only if the broken functionality is used? Would
setjmp/longjmp only break if used across libc6/6.1 boundaries? Passing
around an incompatible pthread struct seems bad, though.
If this would work, a re-bootstrap would not necessarily be needed, I
think?

Kind regards and thanks
Philipp Kern