Re: lenny->squeeze: Upgrading locales causes broken en_US.utf8 locale during upgrade

tags 585737 =
reassign 660669 locales 2.11.3-3
forcemerge 585737 660669
affects 585737 + upgrade-reports
quit

Hi Josh,

Josh Triplett wrote:

> I just upgraded an old system from lenny to squeeze.  The upgrade run
> included the "locales" package.  Early on in the upgrade, apt unpacked
> the replacement locales, but didn't actually configure it at that time.
> Throughout the rest of the upgrade, I got numerous different and
> repeated messages about broken locales, such as these:
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset),
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LC_COLLATE = "C",
>         LANG = "en_US.utf8"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
> /usr/bin/mandb: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
> manconv: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
>
> Please make sure that upgrading the locales package does not break
> configured locales during the upgrade.

This is <http://bugs.debian.org/585737>.  Is it reproducible for you
(for example by downgrading locales, libc, and perl and running another
upgrade)?  Does it happen in squeeze->wheezy upgrades, too?

Thanks for reporting it.

Sincerely,
Jonathan