Re: question about overriding ld.so.conf

On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 10:20:06AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> Hi Aurelien,

Hi,

> On 06/04/11 13:06, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> >
> > I do think it is reasonable. The idea behind hwcap or osversion is to
> > provide two versions of the same libraries and select the right one at
> > runtime depending on the hardware or kernel capabilities.
> >

> I see. But what if there are 2 versions of the same library
> on the same compatibility level, coming from different vendors?
> Vendor A uses the os abi tag (setting it to 2.4.20, which was
> +8 years ago), and vendor B doesn't care about ancient systems
> and doesn't set this tag.
>
> Obviously there is something wrong. As a consumer, how can I
> fix this and get the library I want? (I know "strip", but that
> would be cheating.)

I think the problem has to be fixed in the libraries themselves, this
can be done in two ways:
- the library not providing an os abi tag should be changed to provide
  one.
- the library providing an (outdated) os abi tag should not be provided.

As a consumer, here are the things you can do:
- Remove the os abi tag stripping the library
- Removing the wrong library, or replace the wrong one by the good one
- Use LD_LIBRARY_PATH with the path to the right library. It gets
  priority over os abi tag.

Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73